- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Total: 25 mins
Serves 2 as a main, 4 – 5 as a side.
- 500g / 1lb mushrooms , button or Swiss brown / cremini OR 8 large (like portabello)
- 50g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
OPTIONAL FINISHING FLAVOUR:
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (parsley also good for colour)
- Preheat oven to 220°C/450°F (200°F fan).
- Toss mushrooms with butter, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Spread on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes – do not toss or turn.
- Remove from oven. If using lemon and thyme, push mushrooms together onto one side of the tray,
- drizzle with lemon, sprinkle with thyme and toss. Serve immediately!
HOW TO ROAST LARGE MUSHROOMS (EG PORTABELLO)
- Place mushrooms cap side down (ie stems facing up) in a medium baking dish (so they are kind of snug – they shrink).
- Spoon 1 tsp of butter over each mushroom, then use the rest to brush the edges (or carefully drizzle over edges).
- Drizzle over olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes (tender but still a slight firmness) or 25 minutes (tender) – no turning.
- there will be juices in the pan and plenty pooled in the mushrooms caps.
- Squeeze over a bit of lemon juice, sprinkle with thyme. Serve mushrooms, drizzled with pan juices (see notes for serving suggestions).
Serving suggestions: Pictured in post with polenta (I use quick cook) and Garlic Sautéed Spinach, and on toast spread with ricotta. It’s also lovely with mashed potato or anything else to soak up all those juices (even low carb Creamy Mashed Cauliflower!).
It doesn’t make enough sauce to coat pasta, though you could use a small serving of pasta.
Nutrition per serving (4 servings as a side
Serving: 143g Calories: 152cal Carbohydrates: 5g Protein: 4g Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 299mg Potassium: 398mg Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Vitamin A: 336IU Vitamin C: 6mg Calcium: 9mg Iron: 1mg